sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

No One is Here Except all of Us - Ramona Ausubel

4/11 - A bit weird and slow, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'll continue reading for now.

13/11 - This wasn't for me. It was just too weird. I was expecting the story of a town hiding from the horror of WWII and the Nazis, what I got was the story of an 11-year-old girl who is 'given' to her maternal aunt, who has been unable to have children, because her mother already has 'enough' children and it's not fair to have three children while some have none.

After the arrival of a stranger (who no one but the reader knows was forced to watch her whole family being slaughtered by the Nazis), the town (which I think is located somewhere in rural Poland) comes to the decision to cut themselves off from the rest of the world in order to keep themselves safe from the Nazis. They also decide to 'start the world over again' and make it as if the rest of the world doesn't exist, has never existed, it's the first day of the world and nothing existed before. This gives the childless aunt the perfect opportunity to ask for one of her sister's children, so that this new world that they've created is fair and equal. All this aunt has ever wanted is a baby, not a child a baby, so when the chosen child, Lena, is delivered to her new 'parents' her 'mother' decides that she is a new born baby who has to be cared for as such - including the use of freshly squeezed breast milk to feed her (that scene was when I first started to go "Uh uh, I don't think this is for me."). I just couldn't relate the idea of this tiny (only 102 inhabitants) town's desire to keep themselves safe from the horrors of the rest of Europe with making it okay for one unfortunately childless couple to take another couple's child, in order to raise her as their own. How does that fit with their goal of making a perfect world? For me it didn't, it just seemed to add to the horror of the era. DNF at page 150.