sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare
Reblogged from Ann's Book Blog:

So, I said I was doing this next year (you know the one that starts in 3.5 days), so I figure the best way to get things started with the right frame of mind is to make a detailed plan that I can stick to.

Here's my plan for January, but first of all I need to discuss my plan for the last days of 2014 (how they play out will impact on what I read in January).  First of all, I need to finish Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by the 29th, after that I think I'm unlikely to have time to start and finish the next book in my 'due back at the library' list, Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.  It's one of those classics that, while not particularly long, always seem to take me twice as long to read as a 500+ pager from Richelle Mead or J.K. Rowling.

So, I'll start Brideshead Revisited on or around the 29th, but I don't think I'll manage to finish it till after the 1st, which means that it can count as one of my 2015 Reading Challenge books (that is if I can find an appropriate category to stick it under).  There are a couple that Brideshead Revisited could fit under - A book set in a different country, A book at the bottom of my to-read list, A book by an author I've never read before, and A book based on or turned into a tv show - I suppose it'll just be a matter of putting it the category that I think will later be the hardest to fill (actually none of them are hard to fill - pretty much every book I read is set in a different country, all books I read are at the bottom of my to-read list until I start reading them, I read new-to-me authors quite frequently, and I have a number of books that I want to read that will fill the 'turned into a tv show' category).

After Brideshead Revisited (which has been renewed twice already, so must be next due to the library's limit of two renewals per book) my next book due is Mazin Grace by Dylan Coleman (that hasn't been renewed, yet, but this is the third time I've had it borrowed and still haven't finished it, so I'm determined to do it this time).  That immediately comes to mind as perfect for the A book you started but never finished category, but I already had Middlemarch planned for that spot (I started it about five years ago, but the library due date came up and I had to return it and then I never got around to getting it back).  But if Mazin Grace doesn't go into the A book you started but never finished category, I'm not sure where else it'll fit.  I thought that there was a category that had something to do with written in your own country, but the category is actually 'written in your home town'.  Considering I live in Melbourne, Victoria and the book's set in South Australia (another state altogether) I don't think it really applies (well, not in any sense of fairness).  I suppose Middlemarch could fill the Book with more than 500 pages category, then Mazin Grace could be the Book that I started but never finished.

After Mazin Grace goes back to the library on or before the 9th I've also got Oryx and Crake (Maddaddam Trilogy, #1) by Margaret Atwood due on the same day, but I think I'll renew that (hopefully there won't be any holds on it by that time) so that I can start Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse and get that returned by the 11th.  Steppenwolf is definitely going under the originally written in another language category.  I don't normally read a lot of translated books, so that's a surprisingly easily-filled category that I thought was going to be hard and one of the last categories that I slotted a book into.  Do you think a book can apply for a category if you don't quite finish it?  Because reading the plot summary for Steppenwolf on GR makes it sound pretty daunting and not like what I usually choose to read (or at least not what I usually choose to read and then go on to finish).

After Steppenwolf goes back on or before the 11th I've got three books that I've been looking forward to reading (and in one case re-reading) for ages.  Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson, Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop, and (the hopefully successfully renewed) Oryx and Crake.  Either Hot Blooded or Murder of Crows will fit under the A book with nonhuman characters category, all three of them will fit under the A book by a female author category, and Oryx and Crake fits nicely into the A trilogy category.

So whatever way I look at it (as long as my library due date shuffle works as planned) January is going to be a very good month for my first real attempt at completing a challenge set by another person (as in not my never-ending personal challenge of reading and reviewing all the books I already own).  If everything goes to plan I'll have knocked six categories off the challenge with the opening 2.5 weeks of the first month.  I'm really looking forward to getting started, so much so that I wish January was tomorrow!  Will update my 2015 Reading Challenge plans frequently so that all those interested (and I'm sure there are many of you) can follow me on my journey.  You never know, this challenge might be the start of a yearly thing for me!

Source: http://www.popsugar.com/love/Reading-Challenge-2015-36071458