sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2) by Amanda Carlson

Hot Blooded - Amanda Carlson

12/1 - Considerably better than the first. Hot Blooded was action full speed from the opening pages. I love me a good 'special girl is really special' story, and this was a fantastic example of that genre. I loved how Jessica's powers kept confounding people with their strength, and the way the bad guys kept saying (although not in so many words) "You can't beat me." to which she would reply (again, not in so many words, except in reply to Selene's taunts) "Just watch me!"

There were a couple of questionable metaphors (or similes, I always get those two confused) - "She smiled like a shrew." for example. I'm not even sure which shrew she's referring to, the mole or the fishwife. In the mole's case, I seriously doubt shrews can smile, I don't think their mouths go that way. In the fishwife's case, smiling is not the first expression that comes to mind when I think of a shrew, scowling or screaming maybe, but not smiling. Either way, that's not the best way to describe what type of smile a person (or in this case vampire) is giving. I had to go back and re-read it, and then think about how a shrew (in whichever case) would smile, I couldn't come up with an image of it. Bad simile (I looked it up, it's a simile when the word 'like' is used) is bad.

Despite this, and a couple of examples of badly worded sentences that I didn't bother taking note of due to the aforementioned non-stop action, I was completely immersed in the story. The story covers Jessica, Danny, Tyler, and the vamp twins' journey to recover Rourke from Selene's evil clutches. At every turn there's a new, previously unknown evil beast from hell that needs to be defeated - venomous vampire bats, naiads, spider/scorpion hybrids, laser-eyed zombie goats (really?) and finally Selene herself. And at every turn Jessica's powers prove themselves stronger than anything this deranged goddess can put in their path. Jessica gets a pack (mini though it is), becomes a queen (though she doesn't want the honour), and defeats that goddess, all without any permanent damage (not counting psychological). This was definitely better than the first and I can't wait to read the next one!

PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: A Book You Can Finish in a Day