sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Raine (The Lords of Satyr, #2) by Amber Elizabeth

Raine - Elizabeth Amber

18/1 - Well! I can safely say, without even thinking about it, that I've never read the 'heroine is a hermaphrodite' trope. Add that to the 'hero is a sex beast who grows a second penis on the full moon' trope and you've got a very interesting romance.

I spent the first few chapters feeling a driving need to punch someone. Specifically the inhumane asses who thought it was perfectly okay (perhaps even normal) to be invited to a private (as private as a theatre with around 200 spectators in the audience can be) viewing of this woman who was unfortunate enough to be born in the 19th century to a woman whose husband has died and has no source of income other than using her daughter (Jordan's been forced to live as a man, but identifies as a woman) as a medical curiosity to be displayed for all to see, for a price. All her life men, especially the 'doctor' who delivered her and identified her condition, have been poking and prodding her (quite literally poking their fingers and metal implements inside her in order to identify prostates or uteruses, or whatever other internal organs might be found through digital examination), and staring at her naked body. In pretty much everyone's eyes she's not a person, she's a medical monstrosity that needs to be studied, in great depth.

Thank goodness Raine accidentally stumbles upon Jordan's latest 'birthday lecture' (every birthday a lecture is held and an artist is brought in to document any changes in her body, externally and internally where possible). He can immediately see that she is a woman (something Jordan's always wanted, for someone to see her as she sees herself), and instead of being horrified by her extra appendage he's interested. Through good luck and coincidence Jordan manages to escape a horribly humiliating and painful internal examination at just the right time to bump into Raine, who's roaming the streets looking for a companion, but unsatisfied with the average prostitutes' offerings.

He's in Venice to find the woman he's fated to marry who he will know by her faerie smell (what was he supposed to do if he hadn't seen Jordan, wander the streets of Venice sniffing the woman until one of them had the faerie smell he was told to look for?). She's in mortal danger from some unseen foe and he was sent to Venice by her father's dying words, to find her before the foe does. Once Jordan has been accepted into the Satyr family she will no longer be in danger from this hidden foe because the family's protection will cover her, but of course she doesn't know that and Raine's decided that the best course of action is to not give Jordan any kind of heads up regarding her vulnerable situation. Why do 'heroes' do that so often?! All it does is extend the story where it's not necessarily natural for it to be extended. To be continued...

20/1 - Finished this last night/this morning. Summary? Heavy on the kinky sex (when there's three penises and a vagina and only two people involved, what can you expect?), light on the plot and I don't even think Raine ever straight out told Jordan that he loved her. He called her 'my love', but that's really not the same is it? Nothing really happened plotwise, except for Raine finding his fated wife. I don't think there's any need to read these in order, I certainly didn't feel like I was missing a big part of the story not having read Nicholas first. Only recommended for the more unshockable readers out there.

PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: A Book Based Entirely on its Cover