sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan

A Crucible of Souls - Mitchell Hogan

4/2 - When I saw this on the 'new books and recent returns' shelf my first thought was that it would be good, really good. But at the same time I knew from experience that books that look good can often turn out to be pretty average, or worse, and so was a little nervous of coming to the GR page because a number of times I've typed in the ISBN for my new book only to find it has an average rating of below 3.5. When I see such a low average rating it sometimes colours my opinion and I go into the book expecting it to be average or worse. I try not to let the opinion of others colour my judgement, but sometimes it's not that easy. So I was pretty ecstatic to see that this has an above four star average rating - no bad vibes are going to change my opinion on this one. So far I've only read the prologue, so no comment on the book yet. To be continued...

5/2 - Fantastic storytelling! All I've done today is read this book and do housework while dreaming about the moment when I'll be able to get back to reading this book. I think that's the mark of a five star book, when all you can think about is getting back to it. Right now, I'm holding onto that final star (or really, half star) until I see what the finale is like and how annoying the 'end of the first book in a series' cliff hanger is. There have been a couple of annoying editing/grammar problems, but I was way too busy reading to take not of where they were. Clearly, they weren't enough to dampen my enjoyment for longer than it took to finish the page. I have to get back to the book now, I just wanted to write a quick update before I finish it tonight/tomorrow morning. To be continued...

6/2 - I really loved this, it was even better than I was hoping it would be when I picked it up. There were lots of different characters who each had their with their own PoV, switching between Caldan (the main character) and one of the other PoV every few chapters. Sometimes the other PoVs were a little annoying because I wanted to keep with what was happening with Caldan, but what we learned from the more minor characters' PoVs did become useful and eventually most of the characters joined together into the same PoV, leaving the story less disjointed. You know, the worst thing about this book would have to be that my library doesn't already have a copy of the second book, Blood of Innocents. I've had to make a special order for it which means that I won't get it for some weeks. Boo!!!

PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: A book with more than 500 pages