sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

My PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge - May Total and Future Challenge Plans

I read eight books in March, 2.5 (hardly worth mentioning, especially as they are all going to be reread so I can review them properly) in April, and five in May, of those 15.5 books I managed to fit (some of them had to be slightly squished) eight books into PopSugar categories.

The PopSugar categories I was able to mark off were (the ones in bold are new additions, from the current month, the ones not are from previous months):

1. A Book by an Author You've Never Read Before - Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

2. A Book by a Female Author - Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3) by Richelle Mead

3. A Book Based on a True Story - Mazin Grace by Dylan Coleman

4. A Book You Can Finish in a Day - Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2) by Amanda Carlson

5. A Book with Non-Human Characters - Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop

6. A Book with a One-Word Title - Donnybrook by Frank Bill

7. A Book Based Entirely on its Cover - Raine (The Lords of Satyr, #2) by Elizabeth Amber

8. A Trilogy - Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1) by Margaret Atwood

9. A Book at the Bottom of My To-Read List - Pizza Delivery by Robert Kent

10. A Book that was Originally Written in a Different Language - Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse

11. A Classic Romance - The Ties that Bind by Jayne Ann Krentz

12. A Book with Magic - Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3) by Amanda Carlson

13. A Book of Short Stories - The Witch and Other Tales Re-told by Jean Thompson

14. A Book with More Than 500 Pages - A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan

15. A Nonfiction Book - The Mad Sculptor by Harold Schechter

16. A Book Set in High School - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (I was going to put this under A Book that Became a Movie, but decided that finding another book set during high school would be more difficult than finding one that was turned into a movie, as it seems 85% of the movies that have come out recently have come from books originally).

17. A Book Set in a Different Country - How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess in Hiding, #1) by Juliana Gray

18. A Book with a Number in the Title - Genocide of One by Kazuaki Takano (Translated by Philip Gabriel)

19. A Book Published This Year - The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6) by Richelle Mead

20. A Memoir - Working Stiff by Judy Melinek, M.D. and T.J. Mitchell

21. A Book Set Somewhere You've Always Wanted to Visit - Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (I have actually already visited London, but would like to go back someday as there was so much to see and seven days just wasn't enough time to see it all.)

22. A Book With Bad Reviews - The People of Sparks (The Book of Ember, #2) by Jeanne DuPrau

23. A Book with a Love Triangle - Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover (I'm calling the relationship between Tate, Miles, and Rachel a love triangle because for most of the book Miles is so hung up on Rachel that it's like she's still in the picture, even though she isn't and hasn't been for years.)

24. A Book with a Colour in the Title - Red Blooded (Jessica McClain, #4) by Amanda Carlson

25. A Book You Own But Have Never Read - Wither (Wendy Ward, #1) by J.G. Passarella

26. A Book From an Author You Love But Haven't Read Yet - Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) by Stephanie Laurens

The categories I still have to fill along with the books I hope to fill them with are:

A book written by someone under 30 - I've got Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher on suspended hold, coming in later this year.  Butcher was 28 when this was published, so I think that counts as being under 30 (even though he's past that age now).  This doesn't come in until August though, so I still have to wait awhile longer before I can tick off the category (unless I accidentally read a book by an under 30 author between now and then).

A funny book - no books planned for this category, yet.

A mystery or thriller - I was going to put Truman Capote's In Cold Blood for this category, but after reading it, and considering the amount of 'squishing' I've already done to make some books fit into some of the categories, and considering that 'mystery or thriller' are two of my favourite genres, I've decided that it would tantamount to cheating to classify the original true crime book as a 'mystery or thriller'.  I mean you know right from the start who is going to die and who did it, so there's no way you could say there was a mystery or that the revelation of the killer/s was thrilling.  I'll have to come up with another option.

A popular author’s first book - I'm still trying to find an applicable book for this category.

A book from an author you love that you haven’t read yet - I've got a couple of possibilities from series I want to continue with this year, either Isobelle Carmody's Darksong series or Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.

A book a friend recommended - I have actually been recommended Bad Apples by Evans Light (not that it needed to be recommended) and I can easily get my hands on a copy (usually my biggest obstacle to reading books I've been recommended by overseas friends) as I already own it.

A Pulitzer Prize-winning book - There's a number of Pulitzer Prize winning books that I already have on my to read list: The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway, The Hours by Michael Cunningham, or The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.

A book your mum loves - This may be difficult as my mum isn't a huge reader and I don't know if she loves any book.  I just asked her and she said there is no book that she 'loves', I may have to resort to 'really likes'.

A book that scares you - We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson looks possibly scary, that comes in at the beginning of July so I'll either be able to tick this category off pretty soon or have to start looking for another 'scary' book.

A book more than 100 years old - no books planned for this category, yet.

A book you were supposed to read in school but didn’t - I can't follow the rules here, as I was a good girl (and a good reader) and read every book they set me during school.  I may re-read one of my set books (yes, I have kept them all) that I haven't read since school.  After looking at my collection of 'school' books I'll probably reread The Girl with the Pearl Earring.

A book with antonyms in the title - no books planned for this category, yet.  I may have to look up the definition of 'antonyms' before deciding.

A book that came out the year you were born - no books planned for this category, yet.

A book from your childhood - I've been wanting to do a marathon re-read of my Enid Blyton books, so this might end up being one of her early childhood books like The Magic Faraway Tree or The Wishing Chair.

A book set in the future - no books planned for this category, yet.

A book that made you cry - no books planned for this category, yet.

A graphic novel - Doing some cleaning out of some of the library cupboards this afternoon and what should I find?  A Tintin comic - Flight 714 (Tintin, #22).  I actually own a graphic novel, I won't have to search the library catalogue for one now, so that puts me a step closer to reading one.

A book that takes place in your hometown - this'll be one of the ones I'll have to hunt down purposefully, instead of just happening on accidentally.  I've only read one book set in Melbourne, that was a true crime that I remember clearly and don't really want to re-read just for the sake of the challenge.

A book set during Christmas - this'll probably end up being a romance, not many books that aren't romances are set during Christmas.

A book written by an author with your same initials - off the top of my head I can't think of a single author with the initials SF.  I may have to take recommendations from friends again in order to find one.

A play - I've been thinking of re-reading some Shakespeare so I can review it, I guess I can do it this year.

A banned book - Great, there's a banned book that I already own (well, there are actually a number I own, but I've already read them and don't feel like rereading them this year) - The Giver by Lois Lowry.  That makes things easier, plus it looks like a really short read so there's more good news.

A book based on or turned into a TV show - I've got a number of unread, or at least unreviewed, Buffy/Angel/Charmed books that need to be read and probably re-donated to the library, so it'll be one of those.

A book you started but never finished - I want to finish Lolita (well, sort of), so that's another easy pick.