sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

My June Reading

I read two long (but good) books this past month which kept the month's number lower than I was hoping for.  I'm really trying to catch up on this year's reading challenge, so silly me for choosing two (nearly three) books over 500 pages in length which held me up for at least a week each.  If it hadn't been for an extremely short Kindle, a dreadful romance that I DNFed, and a reference book that didn't have all that many words in it, things would look a lot worse.  In the end I managed eight books this month, you can read my reviews for each of them below:

1. Wither (Wendy Ward, #1) by J.G. Passarella, you can read my review for it here

2. Cowboy Heaven (Cowboy Heaven, #1) by Cheryl Brooks, you can read my review for it here

3. Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder by Ann Rule, you can read my review for it here

4. The Book Lover's Journal by Andrew Swaffler, you can read my review for it here

5. Beneath the Lake by Christopher Ransom, you can read my review for it here

6. No Homo by RemainNameless, you can read my review for it here

7. The Rest of Forever by Kate Aaron, you can read my review for it here

8. Papillon by Henri Charrière, you can read my review for it here

I forgot to discuss my favourite and least favourite books of the month.  My least favourite is the easiest to pick - I couldn't even finish Cowboy Heaven, the chemistry was so non-existent.  The best would have to be...umm...probably...Beneath the Lake!  Except for the very end, which was a bit weird, I thought Beneath the Lake was pretty fantastic.  It was scary (an element that I've been looking for in books, for ages) and exciting, and even though the ending was weird it was completely unexpected (I had my theories on who would come out of the story alive, and I was completely wrong).  I would recommend readers of supernatural horror give it a go.

June is the first month of winter for us Australians, and this particular June has been pretty cold here in Melbourne.  Overnight lows down to 2 or 3 C, and some days the highs have only made it to the high single digits.  I actually like and want cold weather (I miss the winters of my childhood where the grass would freeze and we could go out and crunch it before leaving for school) because otherwise the long summers are just too hard to handle.  If I had my way it would be bluebird days all season long (really, really cold but sunny), like most days when I visit Kicking Horse to ski.