sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

Storm Front  - Jim Butcher

10/7 - This had me snorting and 'ha-ing' in the first chapter, so that's a good start. I was quite surprised (and other emotions I can't quite identify) to learn that Murphy already knows that Harry is a wizard and turns to him for supernatural advice, on purpose. I watched the tv series (and really enjoyed it) years ago and Murphy had no idea there was a 'supernatural' world, let alone that Harry was involved in it and that's what I was expecting when I started reading last night. To have Murphy asking Harry whether the murder they were investigating was magical in nature (in the second chapter) when through the entire series (true, only 12 episodes) Murphy refused to outright believe in magic or the supernatural until it was shoved in her face in the final episode, was a bit weird (teach me to read the book after I see the bastardised show/movie, right?). To be continued...

12/7 - I was starting to think that the lack of Bob was another difference between the show and the books, thank goodness he finally popped up around page 90. Although he is a little different than the way he was depicted in the show. In the show he was a wizard who was executed and imprisoned in his own skull as punishment for bringing a sorceress he was in love with back from the dead. In the book he's an air spirit who was never human, never had a body. In the show he usually appears as a ghostly apparition played by Terence Mann. In the show he can make the skull's eyes light up and appears as orange smoke when not in the skull. In the show he was previously owned by Harry's uncle, Justin Morningway. In the book he was previously owned by Harry's uncle, Justin DuMorne. I wonder why they changed the last name? Maybe too hard to pronounce? I find it interesting to contemplate the changes from book to show, why they made them and what Butcher thought of them (for example, did he think "Oh, that's better than what I wrote, I wish I'd thought of that."?). To be continued...

13/7 - Stayed up way too late last night/this morning reading GR and BL posts, and then when I finally got to bed I couldn't resist reading a bit more about Harry. I was already really enjoying reading this book, but last night it went off the charts. I don't know if this was hysteria related to being over-tired or if the passage was simply that funny, but I had some kind of laughing fit at two in the morning. I couldn't help myself and I couldn't stop laughing for a good few minutes, at two in the morning. I was howling with laughter at Murphy's question upon seeing Harry for the first time after he and Susan were attacked by the toad demon thingy. She asks him

"You planning on having King Kong climb your hair?"

I don't know, that doesn't seem that funny now. Slightly humourous, enough to make you snort and smile, but not enough to cause me to sound like seals had invaded my bedroom in the middle of the night. I think maybe I truly was hysterical. To be continued...

Later - Harry's internal monologue got a bit melodramatic and cheesy towards the end. Sections like

'My shaking was becoming more pronounced. Was it only the effects of the Sight? The presence of so much negative energy, reacting with me?
No, I was simply afraid. Terrified to come out of my hiding place under the platform and to meet the master of the slithering horde that was draped over everything in sight. I could feel his strength from here, his confidence, the force of his will infusing the very air with a sort of hateful certainty. I was afraid with the same fear that a child feels when confronted with a large, angry dog, or with the neighbourhood bully, the kind of fear that paralyses, makes you want to make excuses and hide.
But there was no time for hiding. No time for excuses. I had to act. So I forced my Sight closed and gathered my courage as best I could.'

from page 284 made me roll my eyes, just slightly. The impression I got of Harry from the rest of the book is that he is not the type to over-dramatise a situation, make a big deal out of anything, but that passage above sounds like an over-acted Shakespearean death monologue. I just don't think it fits well with my idea of Harry's personality.

A number of friends have told me that the books only get better after the third one. That news is making me really excited to continue reading the series, because I thought this was pretty damn good, not bloody fantastic (mostly because of some of the prose tending toward purple at the end), but definitely well above average. Can't wait to get to Fool Moon!