sarahf1984

William Shakespeare

The Silence by Tim Lebbon

The Silence - Tim Lebbon

SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!! SPOILERS!!!!

15/7 - Absolutely, terrifyingly fantastic!!!! So realistic that it felt like I was reading someone’s memoirs of the time when the vesps came rather than a tale imagined by a very creative, but twisted author. The monsters he’s created here are truly horrifying and I was worried, after the night of reading (actually only last night, now that I think about it) during which the vesps first started decimating the Eastern European countries, that I would have nightmares about trying to flee from an unknown horror but never getting anywhere. I didn’t, I read till 12:30 and then slept like a log.

I was going to start my review this morning (before I actually finished the book), but my internet was down (still is as I’m writing this), so I decided to keep reading instead. Now I’ve gone and finished the book altogether, without ever getting the chance to write a midway review. Oh well, your loss, my enthralling gain. I had a number of staggering insights I was going to share with you, too, but I’ve forgotten most of them now. One of the things I wanted to mention that I haven’t forgotten is that the character of Lynne and her death immediately reminded of the grandmother character from the movieDante’s Peak. Both were tough, uncompromising old ladies who had lost their husbands, but still had their daughters and grandchildren to live for. Both died excruciating deaths saving their families. Neither death was in vain – their families survived the apocalypse.

Whenever I read apocalypse books I put myself into the apocalyptic situation and usually imagine my likely death because whenever there’s an apocalypse medical supplies are some of the first things to go. As a diabetic I can’t last long without my insulin. Even with food shortages and therefore needing less insulin every day, and assuming that I just happened to have filled my prescription the day before the apocalypse hit I would probably only last six months if I was lucky, and the last days would not be happy ones as I slowly got sicker and sicker. Considering all that and the likelihood that ‘the rescue’ would take longer than six months to arrive (if it ever did) I would probably choose to die in the initial disaster, never knowing what was coming.

Is there going to be a sequel? 18 hours (dinner interrupted my writing last night and then I couldn’t be bothered continuing, I had another book I wanted to start and it wasn’t like there was any rush to get it written) after I mentioned that I couldn’t get on the internet I’m still connectionless and it’s really becoming a pain in the neck. The ending seemed set for a future book, but I can’t check because I HAVE NO INTERNET. I also can’t check which book is next in the library due date waiting line, so I don’t know which one needs to be read most urgently. Even more annoyingly I can’t re-borrow books which aren’t going to get read before their due dates come up. I think I’m going to have to make an unscheduled trip to the library tomorrow just to do some re-borrowing. I shouldn’t have to leave the house for something as simple and easy as re-borrowing a library book (you can tell I couldn’t get by without my internet for very long). Anyway, if there is a sequel I will definitely read it.