sarahf1984

William Shakespeare
SPOILER ALERT!

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson

SPOILERS! SPOILERS!! SPOILERS!!! (or maybe not, depending on whether or not you worked out the 'twist' before I did)

23/7 - Pretty good, but I think I need things spelled out a bit more. I don't really understand what happened. I don't mean who poisoned everybody, because even blind Freddy could've worked that out, even before Mary Katherine said it out loud. What I didn't understand was why. Also, from her behaviour are we to assume that she has some kind of mental abnormality?. I was also unclear about who was telling the truth about Mary Katherine's aliveness, Uncle Julian or everyone else. I was also unsure on the townspeople's motives behind terrorising Mary Katherine whenever she went to town (especially as they believed that Constance was behind the poisoning), and if the townspeople's attitudes were the reason behind Constance's refusal to leave the grounds, or was it something else. I didn't find this in the least bit scary, there was some atmosphere at the start, but it was only very faint and when it became apparent that nothing was going to come of it, it disappeared. It was like watching a horror movie, they play the 'creepy' music and you think something's going to happen, but then nothing does. They keep playing the music and nothing keeps happening, after two hours of nothing the music is no longer all that creepy. I was expecting a lot more from this.

PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: An Author with Your Same Initials