sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Love Song (Angel, Hawk and Raven #2) by Elizabeth Lowell

Love Song - Elizabeth Lowell

I'm such a sucker for Elizabeth Lowell! Even if I know that the book is likely to be cheesy as hell and too short for any decent character development (that's how all of her rereleased 80s books that I've read have turned out), I can't go past the name of Lowell. I grew up reading her books from the late 80s and early 90s and I guess I'm trying to recreate the happy feelings those early romances gave me. Unfortunately these republished, and sometimes renamed, but not reworked books are the worst of Lowell's writing. The characters have no depth, each one is pretty much cut from the same mould, with a few physical differences. Lowell seems to be very inspired by the beauty of the natural world, so all of the books from this era seem to feature storms or mountains or horses or sailing. So with interchangeable heroes and heroines and a repeating cycle of the same scenery the books all start to merge together. This book reminded me a lot of one of her other books, Desert Rain, which opens with a raging storm that one of the characters needs saving from. Despite all those negatives, and this not being the first of her early books that I've noticed similar problems in, if I happened across a republished edition of A Woman Without Lies (the first book in the Angel, Hawk and Raven duo I would absolutely pick it up (from the library, I'm not paying money for them, I'm not that much of a sucker).

Forgot to add that I was not a fan of Janna's ridiculous opinion that if she had been more of a woman her closeted gay ex-husband would have been more of a man and found her attractive enough to have sex with. In other words if she had been the perfect ideal (in her opinion) of a woman (blonde, short, and busty, 'kittenish' as she put it) she could have 'straight'ened her ex out. That idea really made me feel antagonistic towards Lowell, unfortunately hints of homophobia is another theme that runs through a lot of her older works.