sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Bookish-Asks for those Afflicted with Boredom

This is a reblog from *sighs*, here is her original post BOOKISH-ASKS FOR THOSE AFFLICTED WITH BOREDOM.  For some reason (possibly a number of very late nights in a row), I can't work out how to reblog her original post but add my own answers.  So this is the notification that THIS IS A REBLOG, not my own original content.

1. Currently Reading

Edge of Dark (The Glittering Edge, #1) by Brenda Cooper

• 2. Describe the last scene you read in as few words as possible. No character names or title.

Girl is sadly and wistfully contemplating leaving the love of her life, suddenly from behind her the man speaks and lets her know that he loves her too.

• 3. First book that had a major influence on you

Texas Wildcat (Wild Texas Nights, #3) by Adrienne deWolfe.

• 4. Quick, you're in desperate need of a fake name. What character name do you think of first?

It's not gender appropriate, but Jason Bourne.

• 5. Favorite series and why

The Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody or possibly The Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde.  The first because I love strong female characters who are 'special' and I love the fantasy aspect of the plot, the second because I love strong female characters who are 'special' and I love the literary references and comedy of the writing.

• 6. Public library or personal library?

Why do I have to choose?  I visit both every few days, if not more often.

• 7. What is the most important part of a book, in your opinion?

Dialogue.

• 8. Why are you reading the book you're currently reading?

Because it looked interesting.  I saw it on the 'new and recently returned' shelf at my library and it jumped out at me.

• 9. If you were to publish a book what (besides your real name) would you use for your author name?

I've always liked the name Bella, so Bella something.  I would use a more normal, less mockable last name too.

• 10. Do you listen to music when you read? Make a mini playlist for one of your favorite books.

Only when I'm on the train and using the iPod to avoid being spoken to and the book to avoid meeting anyone's eyes.  I just set my iPod to play random selections from my 2000 strong song library, no specific music goes with any particular book.

• 11. What book fandom do you affiliate yourself with the most?

None.  I can't even identify any fandoms off the top of my head.

• 12. Tell one book story or memory (what you were wearing when you were reading something, someone saw you cry in public, you threw a book across the room and broke a window, etc.)

One day, when I was still going to an office for work (about 10 years ago, now), I was on the train reading a romance on the way to work.  After a while I noticed that the guy next to me was reading along with me, and guess what kind of scene we were up to?  Yep, that's right, a nice, hot, explicit sex scene.  I had no idea what to do.  Did I find a reason to put the book away?  Did I give him the 'look' and embarrass him into looking in the other direction?  In the end, not wanting to make a scene or encourage any kind of conversation on the topic, I let him keep reading and tried to make myself concentrate on what I was reading, rather than imagining what this guy was thinking.

• 13. What character would be your best friend in real life?

I don't know.  I'm not really a 'best friend' kind of person.  I have friends in RL, but it doesn't matter too much to me (or them, as far as I can tell) if we don't see each other for months at a time, I don't miss them or pine for their company.  I can't think of any character that I would be better friends with over any other character.

• 14. Favorite item of book merch

I've never received any book 'merch', I just like the books.

• 15. Post a shelfie.

See this post for further information.

• 16. Rant about anything book related

I have major problems with bad grammar, punctuation, and spelling, but I'm not much of a ranter.

• 17. What do you think about movie/tv adaptations?

Some are good (Pride and Prejudice), some are bad (Mortal Instruments).  It depends on a number of factors, including director choice, screen play, actors, amount of input from the author, and the original book itself.

• 18. Favorite booktuber(s)

Don't know any/have one.

• 19. Book that you call your child.

Nope.  Books aren't children, dogs are.

• 20. A character you like but you really, really shouldn't.

No specific characters, but I love extra-special female characters who can do extraordinary things.  They live in a world of special people, but they're extra-special.  Oh, I thought of one, Rose in Vampire Academy.

• 21. Do you loan your books?

No, but only because no one asks and I live too far away from most people to make it feasible.  I would if I could or someone asked.

• 22. A movie or tv show you wish would have been a book

I've remarked on a book's suitability for being made into a movie in a number of reviews, but I can't remember any specific books off the top of my head.  It would probably have been something with lots of action or potential for cool special effects.

• 23. Did your family or friends influence you to read when you were younger?

Yes.  My dad and I and read Enid Blyton's school series together over and over when I was around seven or eight.  I would read to him and he'd make fun of some of the strange names, his favourite was 'Smellory' Towers.  He'd get me laughing so much I couldn't go on reading.  We now enjoy a number of the same genres and swap books frequently.

• 24. First book(s) you remember being obsessed with

Enid Blyton's St Clare's school series.  I have been obsessed with the idea of going to a boarding school and having midnight feasts featuring cakes and sandwiches and lemonade ever since.

• 25. A book that you think about and you cringe because of how terrible it was

The same one pretty much everyone who read it will be listing - FSoG.

• 26. Do you read from recommendations or whatever book catches your eye?

Well, most of my books come from the 'new and recently retuned' shelf at my library, so I would say 90% 'whatever catches my eye'.

• 27. How/where do you purchase your books?

I'm ashamed to admit that most of my books are bought over the internet from www.fishpond.com.au due to their very competitive pricing, free delivery and the fact that I don't have to leave the couch to feed my habit.  I have just recently come across a new bookstore at my local shopping centre which has pretty competitive pricing, for a bricks and mortar store, and is VERY helpful in regards to customer service and the ordering in of books they don't already have on their shelves.  They're even willing to order a book for me that I won't necessarily end up buying, free of charge.

• 28. An ending you wish you could change

I can't think of any particular book endings that I wish I could change, but there are a few movie endings I can think of that didn't sit right with me.

• 29. Favorite female protagonist

Thursday Next or Elspeth Gordie.

• 30. One book everyone should read

I don't think there is such a book, no book in the world is for everyone.

• 31. Do you day dream about your favorite books? If so, share one fantasy you have about them.

Just that I'll bump into one of Karen Marie Moning's Highlander heroes in the supermarket.

• 32. OTP or NoTP?

I have no idea what either of those acronyms stands for.

• 33. Cute and fluffy or dramatic and deadly?

Both, but err on the side of cute and fluffy.

• 34. Scariest book you ever read

First scary book that comes to mind is The Silence by Tim Lebbon.

• 35. What do you think of Ebooks

A necessary evil.

• 36. Unpopular opinions

What about them?  Do I celebrate them and post my unpopular opinion loud and clear?  Why yes, yes I do.  I'm not afraid to go against the majority.

• 37. A book you are scared is not going to be all you hoped it would be

My currently reading, Edge of Dark (The Glittering Edge, #1) by Brenda Cooper.  The blurb sounds really interesting, but it's got a below 3.5 average on GR.

• 38. What qualities do you find annoying in a character?

Whining, waffling, all-encompassing drive to get a guy at any cost, throwing friends/family aside for a guy, party girl behaviour.

• 39. Favorite villain

Sauron, Voldemort, Ariel, Temple Gault.

• 40. Has there ever been a book you wish you could un-read?

FSoG.  I wish I could know how bad it is, without being able to picture some of the most disturbing sex scenes I've ever read.