sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Boy's Own Annual (Volume 57) edited by George J.H. Northcroft

The Boy's Own Annual - Joseph M. Marshall III, John Graves, Stephen J. Harrison, Ian Macdonald, Geoffrey Trease, Michael Poole, W. Shepherd, John R. Griffith, Stanley Phillips, J. Roy Hopkins, Alec A. Purves, J.D. Rogers, Robert Harding, Donald J. Bissett, Percy F. Westerman, Edward C. Ash, D.

This book was presented to my grandfather, William (father's father), on the occasion of him being awarded Dux of the School (he went to a state school in Caulfield, an inner city suburb of Melbourne) in grade 8 in 1935 by the Honourable Harold Cohen. Harold Cohen was Melbourne's Solicitor-General and Minister for Public Instruction. From what I remember of my high school graduation the Dux of my year was only given a pretty piece of paper with fact that he was made Dux of the School of 2002. It seems (after finding numerous books given to family members as prizes over the last 130+ years) that either books are out of favour with schools these days, or that schools of 100 years ago were much more generous than the schools of today. I have no intention of reading this book because it's really not my type of thing (I'll find it hard enough to read the 'girl's books' from the same era, let alone attempting the 'boy's books' as well), but I will keep it as long as I can fit it in the library because of its historical family value.