sarahf1984

SPOILER ALERT!

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

The Maze Runner - James Dashner

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

11/8 - I've got no idea what's going on here. I can't imagine what might have happened to end up with a world where these boys are sent to The Glade, what appears to be a fabricated microcosm in the middle of a maze, with monstrous creatures guarding the gates of the compound. Alby mentioned a flare after his experience with the Griever, but as yet I don't understand the relationship between the flare (if indeed that is what Alby saw during his Changing) and the Grievers. In my head the Grievers resemble a slug/Jabba the Hut version of a Dialek - giant grey slug about the size of Jabba with Dialek appendages. Why would the appearance of a flare bring about the appearance or creation of these things? They don't sound like something that could evolve due to high radiation levels from the solar flare, and I can't imagine why anyone (even evil, psychotic scientists who like to experiment on living things just because it's fun) would want to introduce a Griever into the world. Why does Thomas feel familiarity regarding some aspects of The Glade and how do he and Teresa know each other? Teresa obviously has some level of mind reading ability, but how did she manage to 'turn off the sun'?

All these questions running around in my head make this an easy and quick read, and with the answers being revealed in slow drips and drabs I can't seem to put it down once I've picked it up. I wouldn't be surprised if I get it finished tonight or with breakfast tomorrow morning, depending on how last night's late night readathon effects me tonight. To be continued...

13/8 - Overall I enjoyed this YA dystopian, which I decided to shelve as dystopian because I felt that the dystopian side of the story was stronger than the YA side (with a lot of the characters, despite the oldest being said to still be in his teens, I felt like they were decades older than they were supposed to be, especially Winston and Frypan). It was fast paced and exciting, but I wasn't that impressed with some of the characters. Alby really annoyed me with his persistently angry personality and the way he treated Thomas. Not that the injustice of the way Thomas was treated throughout the book (it didn't really get any better towards the end, most of the boys continued to distrust him and see him as a bad omen) made me feel much sympathy for Thomas. Some of his internal thoughts annoyed me nearly as much as what the boys said out loud to his face.

I didn't like the faux swear words the boys used, there was just too much of it. If Dashner had used f*** and shit instead of made up words (well, made up in the context they're being used here) like 'shank' and 'shuck' this book would have needed an R rating just for the language. In my opinion, if you're going to have your characters swear just own it and use real swear words. If your book is aimed at an audience too young for an abundance of explicit language then don't use it, don't make up words to give your characters the freedom to swear.

I also didn't really get the purpose of

Chuck's

(show spoiler)

death. Maybe it proved the Glader's loyalty to Thomas, but wouldn't they have seen that through all their previous interactions with him since his arrival? Did they really have to kill him just to make sure? I'm looking forward to seeing the movie adaptation (I'll add my thoughts of the movie to the end of the review when I've watched it) and continuing the series.

PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge: A Book that Became a Movie