sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

My September Reading

Seventeen books this month (although I have to admit to a low level of cheating as four of the books, the last four of the month, were under 50 pages and were read in under an hour each, over breakfast) ranging in levels of goodness from one star to five, but only one five star book this month :(.  A couple of books that surprised me by being better than expected, and a couple that didn't surprise me by being as bad as advertised, both of them got DNFed.  You can find links to each of this month's reviews below.

1. On Dublin Street (On Dublin Street, #1) by Samantha Young, you can read my review here

2. Fix You (Fix You, #1) by Beck Anderson, you can read my review here

3. Barefoot in the Sand (Barefoot Bay, #1) by Roxanne St. Claire, you can read my review here

4. Barbed Wire and Roses by Peter Yeldham, you can read my review here

5. Renegade Son by Lisa Jackson, you can read my review here

6. Dark Run by Mike Brooks, you can read my review here

7. Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase, you can read my review here

8. Great Desert Tracks - Atlas and Guide by Greg Cartan, Ian Glover, Frank Stoffels, Alan Whiting, Vic Widman, you can read my review here

9. Chasing Water (Burying Water, #3) by K.A. Tucker, you can read my review here

10. Kissing Santa by Aithne Jarretta, you can read my review here

11. Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1) by Ben Aaronovitch, you can read my review here

12. Take 5000 Eggs by Paul Strang, Jason Shenai, & Jeanne Strang, you can read my review here

13. 4WD Treks Close to Melbourne by Robert and Muriel Pepper, you can read my review here

14. Christmas in Venice by Meadow Taylor, you can read my review here

15. A Second Chance with Emily by Alyssa Lindsey, you can read my review here

16. Full Moon Over Cedar Hill by Edward Lorn, you can read my review here

17. The Boy in the Lot by Ronald Malfi, you can read my review here

My best and worst of the month?  Well, the best is clear, only one five star book on the list this month.  On Dublin Street was really a fantastic romance, a great start to the series (or great second bite for those like me who accidentally read the final book in the series first).  The first and last books were so good, I can see myself rereading both of them so many times that I would consider making the series my first full romance series purchase in a long time.  I've been buying Stephanie Laurens' Cynster series one at a time, whenever I see one on special, for the last year or so, but with Young's books I've loved them so much I might just splash out and buy all six books in one go.

The worst book of the month is a toss-up between a pair of one starrers.  One was a ridiculously short, badly edited Kindle freebie with no room for character development; the other was about ten times the length but not in the least bit better, well I suppose it wasn't badly edited, but the story and dialogue was possibly worse and in the end I just couldn't stand reading the whole book.  How do I choose?  I think, as Renegade Son is a full length novel, with all the space the author could want for proper character and story development that it's the book readers are going to have higher expectations of.  Therefore, the winner of the dubious honour of my worst book of September goes to Renegade Son by Lisa Jackson.

September's weather wasn't particularly exceptional this year.  It wasn't unexpectedly cold or hot.  September used to be the month for the AFL grand final, but since we've had the induction of a number of new teams to the line-up over the last few years, the home and away season now lasts longer.  This means that Grand Final Day has been shuffled forward from the last Saturday in September to the first Saturday in October.  This year we also have a new public holiday for the Grand Final Day parade, which has been held the day before the grand final for the last 20 years or so.  At the moment the forecast for Saturday is 28C but, depending on the strength of the hot northerlies coming from the red centre over the next week, it could be 30+ by the time Saturday gets here.  The two teams playing for the cup this year are the Hawthorn (or Tasmanian, if you're from Tasmania) Hawks and the West Coast Eagles.  The Eagles haven't played in a grand final since 2006 while Hawthorn won 2013 and 2014 and played, but lost to the Sydney Swans in 2012.  So, since the weather hasn't been particularly interesting this month, I thought my picture for this month's reading report could be football related.  So, I've found pictures of both competing teams and a picture that attempts to show the scale of the near 100,000 strong crowd that will be in the stands.

This is the Eagles playing the Geelong Cats.  The Eagles are the ones in blue and yellow.

This is the Hawks playing the Cats.  The Hawks are the ones in gold and brown.

*UPDATE*

The weather has just been confirmed as making it to 30C for the football tomorrow.  The record temperature for grand final day was set in 1987 when it reached 30.7C, it looks like we could easily surpass that tomorrow.