sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Condition Black by Gerald Seymour

Condition Black - Gerald Seymour

26/10 - I'm not sure whether this book is for me. I find the writing very disjointed and choppy. Seymour has an abrupt style of writing that doesn't flow smoothly, which is putting me off. When a book has weird writing I feel the plot needs to grab pretty quickly, and securely. I'm not at all grabbed, so far. Will give Condition Black another few chapters' worth of chance before I make a final decision. To be continued...

27/10 - I read another 20 pages and I feel absolutely no desire to finish reading this. In fact I resent that the book took that half an hour from me, half an hour I could have spent reading something much more interesting. All the problems I mentioned before magnified by the fact that they go on for another 320 pages. On the back of the book the Chicago Tribune says

"I would class this book with the first-rate achievements of Graham Greene, Charles McCarry and Le Carré".

If that's true it doesn't auger well for my future enjoyment of Greene, Le Carré, or Forsyth (who is mentioned in a comment along similar lines from the Daily Mail). DNFd at page 40.