sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4) by Julia Quinn

The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy - Julia Quinn

18/11 - There were a couple of hilarious scenes in this, especially the one at the second Smythe-Smith performance. The wait for the revelation of Richard's secret was quite frustrating, although once we met Fleur I guessed the first part, but not what Richard's solution was. His solution goes against what is considered right these days, but in the 1800s it would have been one of the few solutions that would allow an unwed mother to keep her reputation, if not her child. It would certainly have been a better outcome for the child than going to an orphanage or nunnery, at least the child would get to grow up with parents rather than nuns who saw them as the product of sin and therefore sinful themselves and needing to have that sin beaten out of them, frequently. The way he trapped Iris into marriage was much more troubling for me. The way Iris' mother looked at her after she was told what had happened had me tearing up at the injustice of Iris being blamed for something she had no control over. I don't quite see how Iris could put that to the side and continue to fall in love with Richard. I think I would be angry with him for much longer than that, no matter what his motives were. I would also give him the silent treatment for considerably more than three days, possibly followed by the "I'm leaving you" treatment. Really, the humour of the first half of the book saved this from being a three, or even a two. I have another book from the series and I look forward to continuing it.