sarahf1984

Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Book Tag - How I Read

I've seen lots of these surveys going around and nearly everyone who's done it has 'tagged' everyone, so there's no particular person to thank for tagging me, but I will thank everyone who's filled out a 'How I Read' post for taking the time because they have all been very interesting reading.

How do you find out about new books to read?

My library.  I spend a lot of time at my local library.  I have a constantly revolving cycle of ten (that's the limit of holds my library allows) paused on hold books, a new one comes off pause at the beginning of every month and then when a book catches my eye and I just have to have it now, I put it on hold in between the permanent cycle books.  Whenever I go to the library to pick up a hold or drop off a return I can't help but check my favourite library shelf, the new and recently returned shelf.  This is where I get 75% of my books.  Often the books I find on that shelf are on my 'to read' list anyway, but it's only chance that I find them.  When I browse that shelf I'm not looking for anything in particular (if there is a particular book I'm looking for I do that through the online catalogue from the comfort of my couch, before I leave for the library), so it's a good thing I have a really good memory because while I couldn't give you a list of books from my extremely large 'to read' list, I usually know one when I see it on that shelf.  That memory and some impulse 'Christmas romance' borrowing is how I've ended up with a pile 20+ books tall.

How did you get into reading?

I don't exactly remember (or there isn't a family story about it), but I don't remember a time when I wasn't reading.  I do clearly remember reading favourites like the Spot books, Boris and Borsch by Robin Klein and a lot of Enid Blyton's books.  One of my favourite memories is reading 'Smellory' Towers before bed with my dad when I was about ten.  Sometimes he would get me laughing so much that I couldn't continue reading.

How have your tastes in books changed as you got older?

I'm 31 years old, but I don't think my reading tastes have changed that much in the last twenty years.  A lot of my old favourites are still favourites - Enid Blyton from my childhood, John Marsden from my teenage years, the late 80s and early 90s romances from my teenage years (Mum wants me to get rid of them to make space for new books because I've read them all about 50 times, but I can't, I still love reading them).  Even 'children's' and 'teen's' books that I didn't read while I was the target audience continue to appeal to me as an adult.  I do read more erotic romances now and occasionally MM, but they all fall under the blanket shelf name of 'romance' for me.  No matter who or what the characters are it's all romance, so they all go together.

How often do you buy books?

I buy free or very cheap Kindles books semi-regularly, physical books rarely.  I have a well-stocked library that welcomes requests from users and a personal library that is overflowing by about 30 books, buying new books that will take up further room in my library isn't a good idea.  If I do happen to buy a physical book it's usually a book that I've already read and loved and know I will read again and again, and so is therefore worth paying money in order to own my own copy forever more.  The next book I'm contemplating buying is Anne Bishop's Written in Red.  I thought the first three books were fantastic 5+ star books and feel happy and excited at the idea of owning them so I can reread them whenever I want (no more waiting for holds to become available).

How did you get into reviewing books?

My grade four class was given journals to keep track of our reading for a whole semester (goodness, a whole six months!).  At the end of the semester we had to write a review of our favourite book from the past six months.  Ever since then I have enjoyed keeping a record of what I'm reading and have sporadically written rather vague reviews, but reviewing (and writing in general) became something I took seriously when I came across GR.  I'm not positive, but I think I first heard about GR from my mum who heard about it from the radio.  I went to check it out on my laptop and have hardly left it in the three years that have since gone by.  If it wasn't for GR and BL I probably wouldn't bother with owning a laptop (90% of my laptop use is spent doing 'book' things on one or the other site).  If not for GR and BL I wouldn't have branched out in the romance genre, I would probably be still rereading the old favourites over and over again (because I saw reading romance as something to hide, none of my RL friends ever have and looked at me funny whenever I mentioned it), I wouldn't have read an eBook, I wouldn't have bought a Kindle, and I wouldn't have made so many great international friends.

How do you react when you don’t like the end of a book?

The most effective thing I can think of, I write about it.  I'm not an overly emotional person, so I don't tend to get attached to characters, so I've never felt the need to throw a book because of the death of a character (the same can't be said for bad or non-existent editing).  If a favourite character does die I tend to feel sad, but as I'm not that attached that sadness quickly dissipates and I move on to the next book.

How often do you take a sneak peek at the ending to see if there is a happy ending?

Only if I'm not enjoying the book but need to know what happens at the end (kind of getting that feeling with the book I'm reading at the moment, The Creative Fire).

Do you use bookmarks in your books?

I hate it when this question is asked because I feel the need to be honest.  No, I almost never use bookmarks.  I don't remember how I got into the habit, but I'm a corner folder.  I know, it's bad for the books, but after doing it for many years I highly doubt there's any likelihood of weaning myself of this behaviour.  I have used a bookmark in some books, but have often been burned by that concession to the fact that the book I was reading was a 'nice' book when the bloody bookmark fell out of the book and my spot was lost.  I don't feel too badly about it as, like I said above, most of my books come from the library.

I will continue the trend and tag anyone reading this.  It's a lot of fun to write, as well as to read.  I feel like I learned something about myself as I was writing, as much as I learned while reading others' posts.