sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton

24/11 - This reminded me of a darker, more realistic American Graffiti set in Oklahoma. I don't know much about the state of Oklahoma (or possibly anything about it, seeing as I was under the impression it's a state full of cowboys and horses and ranches), I didn't even know the capital city prior to googling it. I would never have imagined that Oklahoma would have gang wars between the Greasers (I've seen Grease about 50 times, enough to recite most of the dialogue, and American Graffiti twice and I had always thought the name 'Greaser' came from their penchant for fixing up cars, not the excess hair gel they used, so that was a lesson I learned) and the Socs. I would have thought that in the 60s Oklahoma was just managing to get sealed roads from one side of the state to the other (no offense to Oklahomans, but your state just isn't in the media all that much here).

Reading it in 2015, I thought this was quite a good YA book, but I can't even imagine the reaction from parents in 1967. Gangs, 'rumbles', teenagers exhibiting sexual behaviour, 'heaters' (that was something I didn't understand, the slang term 'heater' for a gun, in fact until it was described as being loaded I actually believed they meant a real heater and thought "Wow, that would be rather ungainly to carry around town"), murderers and their associates 'getting away with the crime'. With all those taboo topics, how on earth did this get past the censors of the day?

This is one of the most widely read books among my GR friends, but I hadn't even heard of it till the last year or so and even then only because of my presence on the website. Thank you GR, without you I probably never would've read this book.