sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3) by Julia Quinn

The Sum of All Kisses - Julia Quinn

15/12 - I didn't like either Hugh or Sarah at the start of the book, but by the end I felt like maybe I wasn't supposed to like them from the beginning. They both changed so much that I got the feeling that Quinn wanted to show them growing through the book, being tempered by love and their relationship. Sarah's sisters and female cousins were hilarious additions to the book providing plenty of chuckles, especially during the scene in the carriage.

Hugh's threat to his father to stop him from exacting vengeance on Daniel was completely insane and ridiculous, but that only happened in the last few chapters of the book, so it didn't impact on my enjoyment of the book as a whole. Hugh's father was so crazy that it did occur to me that he had untreated tertiary syphilis and it was turning his brain into Swiss cheese (not a completely unlikely scenario considering his sexual proclivities), but the reasons for his behaviour weren't explored beyond Hugh's declaration that "He's a mad bastard."

This was similar to The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy, the next and last book in the Smythe-Smith Quartet, in that the last few chapters of the book were the worst and involved a crazy scheme that pushed the boundaries of disbelief, even for a romance. Still, I look forward to reading the first two books in the series, maybe in 2016.