sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

According to the introduction, this is a book that no normal person would be able to fully, or even partially, understand on the first reading. I can't imagine many people even making it all the way through the first reading, I certainly didn't. I'm sure it's a great and important 19th century piece of American literature, but the pages long stream-of-consciousness style Faulkner used became incomprehensible and very tiring to read. The blurb on the back of the book makes the plot sound interesting, but the stream-of-consciousness style in the second "chapter" along with the strange back and forth "time travel" between different unnamed times made it almost impossible to follow, I was just reading the words, not comprehending the story. I have taken his other works off my list of books to read.