sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 19 - Favourite Book Turned Movie

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson

This is tough to pick because, off the top of my head, I can't think of a book/movie combination that I loved.  I either loved the book or the movie, but not both at the same time.  For example: I love The Bourne movies and was pressured into reading The Bourne Identity and Supremacy in my early twenties by my dad's constant "Oh, the book was so much better, so much more sophisticated than this American 'shoot-em up, blow-em up, karate chops everywhere' rubbish.  So, I caved to parental pressure and read both books.  I was surprised by the difference in plot, which lead to some disappointment as I couldn't help comparing what would have been happening in the movie with what was happening in the book.  I was even more disappointed by the completely different plot of The Bourne Supremacy book versus the movie.  After reading The Bourne Identity I didn't expect it to be exactly the same, but I did think they'd be pretty similar.  If I'd read the books first, maybe I'd have a different opinion, a complete 180 even, but I didn't and unfortunately I can't re-have my first impression of the books as the more mature reader that I am today.  So they can't be my favourite book turned movie.

With Harry Potter, I loved the books but found the first two movies too child-friendly and all of them suffered from missing scenes that I was looking forward to seeing on the big screen after years of imagining them while reading the books.

Twilight had some unfortunate casting choices which put me off the movies a bit, but enough to stop them from being a fantastic pair.

Ooh, I know!!  My already posted about for 'favourite quote' on Day 17, The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo.  That was a great book and the movie made it even better, the director's imagination was far darker than mine and he created Lisbeth's rape scene and subsequent torture of her guardian more horrifically than I could ever have imagined.  Also, the movie followed the book that I loved so much so well that it was like watching my imagination come to life without any creative differences.  I would usually include my original review at this point, but since it's already been included in another day's blog I don't think it's necessary to add extra length to an already long post (especially as I still have numerous posts to write tonight so I can catch up with the 30 Day Book Challenge).