sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

A Stolen Life - Jaycee Dugard

A horrible story. I found it hard to understand how Stockholm syndrome could have damaged her mind so much that she wouldn't attempt to escape, especially in the later years when her kidnappers gave her more freedom. I know that Stockholm syndrome is a psychological condition that is recognised and documented in many different cases, but it just boggles my mind that the even when she was at the police station at the end of the book she kept repeating the "story" of being on the run from an abusive boyfriend. Why couldn't she see that she was safe? I also found the passages with bad grammar irritating. At the beginning of the book she explains why her writing seems to jump around and change topic abruptly (not something I actually noticed), but that doesn't explain why the grammar couldn't have been editied to make it more readable. The rating lost 1/2 a star because of the grammar.