sarahf1984

Louise Lee
Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

30 Day Book Challenge: Day 26 - A Book That Changed Your Opinion About Something

Winston's War - Michael Dobbs

As soon as I read that category my mind jumped to Sylvia Day's Crossfire series, but I already used the first book, Bared to You for Day 9 - A Book You Thought You Wouldn't Like But Ended Up Loving.  So, I tried to think about what my least favourite subject of discussion would be and remembered that I HATE politics.  Every time our political leaders get up to speak on the nightly news I have to fight the urge to mute the idiots.  It's even worse with my mum's favourite, talkback radio, because first you get the idiot politicians doing their best to find every possible way to not answer the question without appearing to not answer the question, and then you get the even more idiotic listeners ringing the radio station to argue with the politicians over their policies (translate as lies to get them elected) and why the policies had to be drastically altered after they were elected (it's usually the opposition/outgoing government's fault for spending too much money).  So yeah, I hate politics with a passion.  I hate all the double-speak, and lying, and blaming the other guy for why you had to lie to the people in the first place, and during the election campaigns I hate the propaganda ads both sides bring out to show why they're going to be better for the country when really they're both as bad as each other.

So the idea of reading a book written about one of the most famous British politicians set during what would have to have been the most stressful time of his, or any politician's, career, was strange and I was ready and willing to give up on it as soon as the politicians got annoying.  Surprisingly, I never got to that point with Winston's War by Michael Dobbs (or the other three books in the series).  I am a bit of a WWI and WWII history buff and enjoy most books written about those periods, be it from Australian, British, German, American, Japanese, Polish or any of the other myriad points of view that those times have been written from.  So, when I was given the final book in the series I knew I couldn't read that one first (that's just wrong, to knowingly read a series out of order), so I got the first one from the library and realised that while it was about Churchill (a politician, shock horror) it was also about his experiences during the beginning of WWII as the political outsider to Chamberlain's prime minister (Chamberlain was the one who declared peace with Hitler after they signed the Munich Agreement in 1938).  I was enthralled, and amazed that I was enthralled, with the story of Churchill through the war years, and just wanted to read more of this kind of political story (semi-fictional true stories).  Michael Dobbs is a magician to make politics interesting and now he's an 'immediately buy his books' kind of author for me.  Winston's War changed my mind about politics (well, at least when he's writing about it).