sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Deepwater Landing (Deepwater, #2) by Ken Catran

Deepwater Landing - Ken Catran

21/1 - Unfortunately this is suffering under the twin curses of 'not quite as good as when I read it as a teen' (not this particular book, but the general plot) and 'not quite as good as the first book in the series'. The book being infected with two such serious conditions has lost it a star. The way the original crew, except for Yoona, treat Denie/Cei - glaring at her, ignoring her, making her feel like an outcast, etc. - is unrealistic when any member of the crew may rely on her actions to save their lives. After the way they, Gret and Bren especially, treated her I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd refused to act to help them in any way. They are written as teenagers, but other than each other they've never been around other teens, so how would they learn the normal behaviour we associate with teens today. Teenagers don't have to be sullen, morose, moody, angst-ridden pre-adults. Considering the responsibilities they're shouldering and their isolation from everyday life I would think it would be more likely that they would turn out as out-of-the-norm teens who are more mature than their peers. To be continued...

22/1 - Are 'round' and 'around' the same word?  Do they both work in the following sentence from page 109?  "The whole side of this Deepwater gaped open round huge broken rib-bones of steel."  Or should the author added the 'a' to 'round'?  Maybe it's a typo?

"There was something unclose and cold about these two..."  What does "unclose" mean?  Far away from the other characters in the scene?

The facts are going a bit awry; on page 174 there is this patently false statement "From Mars to Earth, another ten kilometres".  Ten kilometres?  I don't think so.  Maybe Catran meant ten thousand?  Or maybe even million?  I'll have to google it to know for sure.

Two minutes later - www.universetoday.com tells me that the Earth and Mars range between 56 million and 401 million kilometres apart, depending on the time of the year and other contributing factors.  So, I don't know what Catran was thinking with that sentence.

Why on earth would night in a jungle be silent?  On page 182 the crew are waiting for the sun to come up in order to see if the gene bank worked.  Jungles have insects, a lot of insects, which chirp and buzz and hum pretty consistently.  There would be no need to wait for sunrise to see if the birds wake up, as in a normal jungle you'd be lucky to be able to hear yourself think over the noise of the chirping, humming, buzzing insects.  If planet Earth is devoid of insect life (because the builders of the Deepwater gene banks neglected to add them to the gene bank) then a lot of the birds wouldn't survive and neither would most plant species (no insects = no pollination by bees) and therefore neither would the herbivorous animal species which would leave the carnivorous ones without a food supply - no insects in the jungle (or I would assume anywhere else on Earth) means the end of life on Earth.  But at least the author got in a climactic/big reveal ending.

Out of all the people on Earth and its surrounding colonies, why choose these people?  Especially why so many Earth-kids who were all, coincidentally enough, classmates of each other?  Was there maybe a raffle, not to pick who would be lucky enough to be rescued from the dying Earth, but just to be given told that your body would live on thousands of years in the future.  Not particularly helpful in my opinion, I mean say I'm dying and so is everyone I know, why do I care if another version of me will 'wake up' on a space ship on a trip to the other side of the universe and back?  I don't care because it's not me, it's someone else that just looks like me.  It's not like my consciousness has been transferred to this other body and I know that while my body is dying I'll be able to keep living, it's the other way round, my brain is being left behind and my body is being preserved - not something that would make me feel hopeful or something that I would feel excited about 'winning'.  Overall, I'm enjoying the series, but it does feel a little immature and some plot holes are ignored (perhaps because it's one of the earlier YA, and it wasn't at the top of the publisher's list of 'important to make perfect prior to publishing').  The final book is only 130 pages long, 50 shorter than this one, so I'll read it tonight and write the review tomorrow.