sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Watch (WWW, #2) by Robert J. Sawyer

Watch  - Robert J. Sawyer

28/07 - This was even better than Wake! Watch wasn't quite as chock-a-block with techno-speak because the technology (Caitlin's eyePod, WebMind's appearance etc) had already been set up, so Sawyer didn't have to overload the reader with background information on how it all worked. This left more time for the story to happen, to progress. Webmind's voice was a little irritating to begin with because after reading everything the Gutenberg Project had digitalised he had a slightly skewed idea of the way people talk in current times, but as he continued to learn that resolved itself. The front cover had a quote from Publisher's Weekly "wildly thought provoking" and I absolutely agree. I don't understand the internet well enough to say whether any of this is possible, but I hope it is. So, if there's a WebMind-like - WebMind-like in that it's completely benign and not going to turn into Skynet or plug us all into the Matrix so it can have the planet to itself and its progeny (or whatever you call robots made by robots) - entity out there watching us from the internet please find a suitable Caitlin substitute (someone who isn't going to inform the relevant authorities out of fear of what it may one day be capable of) and make contact. I look forward to hearing from you.