sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

24/07 - I thought this book was wonderful, 4.5 stars really. I loved the time travelling aspect - going back and meeting himself or having an older version call him for help in the middle of the night - most time travelling literature makes this impossible due to the paradox of meeting yourself being likely to cause the universe to disintegrate (or so Doc says), so it was nice to have a new take on the subject. It made me sad the amount of times he got beaten up but I realised that the story would be completely different (maybe not even a story at all) if he arrived clothed. No more beatings, he wouldn't need his future or past self, or anyone else nearly as much because he would still be able to steal any food he needed, but he would be doing it clothed and so wouldn't be nearly as conspicuous. There are two reasons why the book doesn't quite get five stars from me - first I didn't like the swearing or some of the words Niffenegger used to describe the sex scenes (after reading some Amazon reviews I have realised I'm not the only one who thinks this). Second, I wish Niffenegger could have come up with a miracle to save Henry, I think that would have been not only a happier ending but a better ending as well. I loved the idea that Alba (not a fan of the name, I always think of Albatrosses when I read it) would become not only a musical prodigy, but a time travelling prodigy too - being able to go when she wants to and finding it "interesting, if not a bit inconvenient" instead of painful and ultimately deadly. I can't wait to read the three subsequent novels she has written.