sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead

25/5 - I've been looking forward to starting this for about a week, since I saw that it was my next available hold and it was ready to be picked up.  I haven't read a vampire book in ages, more than a year and it's been even longer for a 'school book', not since I was in school a decade ago.  This had better be great, the amount of anticipation and eagerness I've worked up, doing my best to hurry through Lessing's The Good Terrorist, if this doesn't blow my socks off there's going to be Hell to pay.  To be continued...

26/5 - To start with I found Rose a little irritating and wasn't sure whether I liked her, but she grew on me as I continued reading.  I love the trope of 'special girl who is extra special, even among her special community' and that's what I saw the plot of Vampire Academy as being.  I didn't really understand why Rose made some of the choices she did, but I felt like she matured as the story went on (Jesse on the couch, that was way below her intelligence level).  How on earth did she miss the signals between Christian and Lissa?  She saw everything that the reader did of their interactions, plus she knows Lissa better than we do.  How could Lissa and Christian's feelings for each other have been made any clearer to her?

Eventually she began to truly understand the responsibilities she would have to shoulder as the Guardian of a Moroi princess who has extra special talents.  The chemistry between Rose and Dimitry wasn't particularly compelling to start with, obviously that's where things were leading but as with a lot of the plot, tension rose as the pages kept turning.  I finished Vampire Academy in one night, so that's got to be some kind of indictment for others to read it (if I'm not the last YA reader in the world to read this series, that is).  I will definitely continue with the rest of the series, as soon as my other library books will allow.