sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Rescue Me by Christy Reece

Rescue Me - Christy Reece

5/6 - 'Ugly duckling' girl in love with an older guy (17+) who is one of the few people in her life who is nice to her. She grows up and he finally sees her as more than a little girl who he needs to protect from the 'bad elements' in her life. This is one of my favourite romance tropes, possibly because I always sympathised with the girl, because that's how I always felt. The only problem with my 'ugly duckling' fantasy is that I didn't have any 'bad elements' in my life (parents, grandparents were wonderful); I didn't know any older guys, let alone love them; and I didn't 'grow out' of my 'ugly duckling' looks, I look pretty much the same now as I did 15 years ago when I first came across this trope in Elizabeth Lowell's Desert Rain.

Later - Sex in the first chapter, tears (for me and Devon) in the second. Is this going to be an emotional rollercoaster of a book?

6/6 - 4.5 stars. This was good enough to make me want to go and buy it immediately, if only my shelves weren't so full. I'm definitely going to want to read this again!

Rescue Me wasn't as much of an emotional rollercoaster as you might expect from reading the first two chapters. I really enjoyed reading the 'Jordan' passages of the book, he was strong and sexy and hardly ever in denial about his growing feelings for Devon/Eden. She fought her feelings longer and harder than he did.

There was a good balance between the romance and mystery thriller side of the book. Often one side, or the other, is an after-thought - romance with an incongruous dead body or a crime thriller with a fade-to-black sex scene right at the end - rarely have I come across a book with an almost 50/50 split between the two sides of the story, with both sides given equal importance. Highly recommended!

P.S. Read from 10:15 pm till 4:18 am (I'm REALLY tired today) - that's a really good book.