sarahf1984

Louise Lee
Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

My $100 book haul, just because I felt like it.

When I buy classics, I like to buy new, so I pretty much always go to QBD.com.au because they have the best selection of Penguin Classics with the very distinguished looking black band at the bottom.  I love seeing them on my bookshelves mixed in with the el cheapos from the library booksale.

I wish I had the money to have a library full of Penguin Classics and leather/cloth bound books, but I don't, well, not all in one go anyway.  So, every few months (or more, or less) I buy another $100 box full (they come in a nicely protected box with polystyrene peanuts).

The only problem with buying new books is that I've really got to get reading on the books I know I'm not going to want to keep, to make room for more pretty books (or even just books of any kind.  At the moment there's a serious-sized pile of books from 'L' waiting to be shelved and the shelves are already full - to get the 'Ls' in I have to take later letters out.  In the end the last few letters of the alphabet simply won't fit on my shelves, unless I read, review and re-donate the ones I don't love.  So now that I've bought 10 new books, including some amazingly long ones, I've got about a week to read a pile of books that can be removed from the library to make room for the new ones.

I'm also very pleased to say that The Pickwick Papers and The Old Curiosity Shop represent the final Dickens needed to complete my Penguins Classic collection.  I can see the ones I already have from my chair and they look fantastic, taking up almost a whole shelf.