sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Hot Finish (Fast Track, #3) by Erin McCarthy

Hot Finish - Erin McCarthy

22/6 - I knew it couldn't go on forever, my run of good luck with romances had to end eventually (fortunately this is the last in my current pile, hopefully by the time they rise back to the top of my pile they'll be back to being 3.5 stars or higher). This ain't impressing me. The stupidness of Nikki (a cross between Paris, Jessica and a generic bridezilla) is grating on my nerves, and so is Suzanne's constant insistence on reminding us of that fact. I was irritated with the writing from page two due to a grammar/editing problem

"And that's when you first starting dating your fiancée."

shouldn't that be started?

I'm also having a logistical problem understanding how and why Ryder and Suzanne would ever get back together. They have great sex, but can't calmly discuss something for more than a few minutes before one or the other says something incendiary and things dissolve into a screaming match. On page 68 it seems to me that the most logical ending for this book is that they have a final sex-filled fling, get closure with each other and go their separate ways - staying married just doesn't seem conducive to either's long term health or happiness. I have no idea how this is going to work out with any realism. To be continued...

23/6 - Ugh, grumble, grumble, grumble. Ms McCarthy doesn't seem to know about the existence of the past tense of start - started . Starting and started do not mean the same thing. "...and being run over when she starting driving..." makes no sense, but if you change that 'ing' to 'ed'...ahh, it'll all becomes clear.

Even when McCarthy's not mixing up her tenses, I'm finding it hard to really enjoy the dialogue. A lot of Suzanne and Ryder's internal discussions and the conversations between Ryder and the other guys feels stilted and a bit...lame. In the two main manly discussions with Ryder, Ty, Jonas, Elec, and Evan the discussion starts out all macho with the men refusing to do what the women want (generally, specifically they made a plan to bail on the wedding in the first instance, then agreed that they didn't need or want their significant other around for boys night in the second). In both instances the men all start out strong, sticking to their macho 'women! who needs them?' attitudes, until one dissenting opinion is heard and suddenly all the other guys, who felt so strongly about their opinions, cave in and start agreeing with the dissenter. They reminded me of a group of women, immediately rushing to back each other up, no matter what they really think. I think McCarthy took the idea of the New Age sensitive man a bit too far. In a heterosexual romance I really need my men to be men. A man can love, respect, admire, and listen to his wife without becoming a complete pushover with no opinion of his own. To be continued...

Later on page 127 - Okay, am I imagining it or did they just have unprotected sex for the second time? Did I miss the conversation where she assures him she's on the pill and they assure each other that they're both clean and healthy (although how either of them could know that is beyond me)? Unprotected sex in a book written in the last 20 years, set in the last 20 years that isn't an immediate worry to both participants is so unrealistic it always pulls me straight out of the story to go "Hey guys? Babies? STIs? Where's the condom?" Another black mark for this one. To be continued...

Okay, two pages later we get the birth control mention, but still no discussion on the lack of condoms - I guess they trust their ex-spouses not to give them herpes.

Page 130 - The sentence is a glaring example of how distractive/disrupting a double negative can be. I've read it over and over and I'm still not sure if it makes sense.

"Thanks for making sure I wasn't the only woman around the campfire who didn't get some action."

I know what she's trying to say, but there's got to be a way to say it that doesn't leave the reader scratching their head in confusion.

One minute Suzanne is a five-year-old talking about her 'girl parts', then she's an 85-year-old granny calling it her 'hoohah'. For goodness sake, call it what it is - your vagina!

24/6 - This just didn't work for me on any level. As a race car driving/driver book? Where was the racing? I was expecting there to be at least one scene at the track watching the cars go round. As a romance? I don't believe Suzanne and Ryder will fair much better the second time around, child or no child. He will forget to communicate and she'll go back to being a man emotionally and they'll have to get divorced, for real this time.

I forgot to mention that this is my third 'read, review, re-donate' book this week. The first one's already been slotted into my library shelves, the second one was re-donated on Monday, and this will join its less fortunate buddy back at the library tomorrow. Although things did not go well with this McCarthy book I've decided to give her another go. This decision was precipitated by the fact that as I was re-shelving my re-donations on Monday, I came across another book from her Fast Track series. Knowing I already had this one at home (I hadn't started reading Hot Finish yet, I wouldn't have bothered with another from the same series if I had, but I did get it and I'm going to start reading it immediately), picked Hard and Fast up too (hopefully it's better than this one).