sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead

Shadow Kiss - Richelle Mead

3/8 - I got wind of the idea that something dreadfully bad was going to happen at the end of the book from a review (not exactly what, just something), so I was semi-prepared for the possibility of tears. But as soon as I realised what that dreadful thing was going to be I didn't believe it. I absolutely couldn't believe that what happened was permanent, that everything wouldn't work itself out in end (of the series, not the book, it's going to take a few books to fix this problem, but I believe it will be fixed eventually). I don't think that the series could do without that character at this stage in its development, so it's just another trial, another hurdle for the character to jump over before getting to the happy ending.

Adrian has become a little bit less of a comedic farce of a love interest that he was in the previous books - I mean he wasn't much of a catch with his constant appearances with either a cigarette or bottle of alcohol (or both) in his hand and indolent way of life. Rose was clearly meant to pick Dimitri with no hesitation, but in Shadow Kiss Adrian actually starts to become useful, helping Lissa with Spirit training, his knowledge of the Royals, and I loved Rose's way of confirming to herself the truth of her attraction to Dimitri.

Rose's insistent belief that seeing ghosts was a more unforgivable offense than incompetence when dealing with the field training attacks was an annoying piece of stupidity - but then I've come to expect the occasional piece of stupidity, not only from Rose, but from almost every YA female character. I assume this is an attempt to show the reader that the characters aren't perfect, that they make mistakes, and YA readers can relate to them because they're not that different from themselves. I understand all that, but at the same time I want my YA characters to have believable moments of stupidity, and I didn't think hiding her visions of Mason's ghost was a believable move for Rose. In fact, if she hadn't tried to deny his appearance she might have been able to understand what he was trying to tell her, what he was pointing at, in time to avert the attack that precipitated the dreadful thing that happened at the end. But then, I suppose if she had averted the attack and the dreadful thing hadn't happened there wouldn't have been much motivation for the series to continue. Now, because of the dreadful thing the boundaries of the books are expanding outside of the school walls, giving the characters scope for new friends/enemies, new locations and new problems to solve.

This only took a day and a night to finish and even though it was 2 am I immediately had to start Blood Promise to see where it was going. I ended up reading four chapters over the next hour. Going to finish it today and get it back to the library for its 4/8 return date deadline with no problems.