sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Falling by Anne Provoost

Falling - Anne Provoost

21/8 - I started this weeks ago and haven't touched it since and don't really feel compelled to now, except that if I don't read it I'm going to be in trouble for the three books I just brought home from the library. Mum's got this rule, until the home library is tidied up and all books are on the shelves, that's kind of like the old adage of 'no dessert until you eat your veggies'. Falling is the veggies and any new and entertaining book that catches my eye are the dessert. Every time I bring home dessert books I get in trouble because the vegetable books aren't getting read. So, I'm giving this one more chance, another 50 pages, to make me want to read it as much as the last three books have (Garwood, Mead, and Schreiber). To be continued...

Later on page 27 - Why would anyone, let alone a perfectly healthy teenage boy, get numb feet after dragging a pair of suitcases up a single flight of stairs? He shouldn't even have sore feet, and if he does maybe he needs to see a podiatrist about getting some orthotic inserts for his shoes. My brother had some and they helped partially correct his pigeon-toes.

Later on page 69 - It's not clear (or I can't remember) how old Lucas is, but he sounds like he must be 14 or 15. If I'm estimating right then what the hell kind of country is he living in that a teenager could go into a gun store and talk about buying a pistol for his mum without being told to come back when he's at least 18 and has a licence? That's just crazy and very disturbing. To be continued...

Later - I was getting a very angry, fear and hate-filled vibe from this book that was making me feel very uncomfortable, but I still wanted to know what happened to Caitlin's foot and Lucas' part in the incident. So, I skipped ahead to page 230 where the scene of the accident begins, and now I know that Lucas thought he was doing the right thing, that he was saving Caitlin's life and I understand why his actions were controversial. Thank goodness I no longer need to continue reading a story that felt like it was corrupting me, making me angry and hateful as I read of he 'Arabs' constantly breaking into people's houses and stealing anything not nailed down that they could sell. The idea of your own home not being a safe and secure place for you, your family and your hard earned belongings was getting me all riled up against the 'Arabs' of the book, and I didn't like that feeling at all. Now I can move on and Falling can go to a new home via the library.