sarahf1984

Louise Lee
Progress: 100/346 pages
Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

The Judgement of Strangers (Roth, #2) by Andrew Taylor THIS IS NOT A REVIEW (anymore)

The Judgement of Strangers - Andrew Taylor

This is a salutary warning for those of you who don't worry too much about reading books within a series in the proscribed order, this may happen to you.

22/9 - On page 28, the start of chapter five, and so far it's all a bit slow. Below I've copy/pasted the GR blurb:

Angel, the perfect childminder, preys on young children. But everything starts to slip out of control when Angel steals her latest victim, Lucy Appleyard. Having massacred the innocents over the years, she now wants someone to know about it.

So far that blurb has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm reading. The characters Angel and Lucy (or anyone with the last name of Appleyard) haven't made an appearance yet and it feels like a small town (or English village/hamlet) drama. The narrator is a widowed, father of one, priest who is feeling a little jealousy over a new-to-town woman who, slightly suddenly, is preparing to announce her engagement to the priest's boss. She owns a publishing company after the death of her husband and has agreed to read through a typescript of the history of the village written by one of the towns' people and see if it might be possible to get it published. The blurb sounds really interesting, what I've read isn't living up to that blurb at all, but I'll keep going looking for the promised massacring of innocents. To be continued...

Page 30 - Insanitary? I believe the word's unsanitary.

23/9 - Okay, I've worked out who the Appleyards are. David (widowed priest who's narrating) and his dead wife rented a room to Henry Appleyard in their house. David is godfather to Henry's son Michael. There's been no mention of a Lucy, but I have to assume that she's going to turn out to be their daughter.

David's daughter Rosemary is behaving slightly strangely and I get a sinister feel from her, but unless she goes by another name when she's 'massacring innocents', I don't think (may be proven wrong) she's going to be revealed as 'Angel'. To be continued...

Later - Right, not a big fan of David. So, he married the woman he was jealous over (Vanessa) and they've gone off on their honeymoon. Vanessa is a bit nervous about having sex with David for the first time, mostly, she claims, because she didn't have sex with her dead husband all that much (he liked to read late and she liked to sleep early).

Reading between the lines (not that Vanessa's being all that oblique about her feelings, not to anyone except David, it seems) it seems that Vanessa has found no pleasure whatsoever in any of the sex David has 'encouraged' her to have. She keeps saying she wants to please him, but at the same time the morning after their nightly sexual adventures (yeah, right!, from the description it's more like "kiss, kiss, in, oooh I'm done, out" while she hugs him tight to herself and rubs his back) she's always 'sore' and eventually, after a week of this asks for a break because she 'thinks' she's about to get her period.

His response to her being 'sore' (no one but him thinks she means in any place other than her genitals or internally) is that they've got pulled muscles from all this physical activity and they'll get used to it. His response to her not wanting sex due to the possibility of her period appearing is "Oh, that's okay with me. I'm fine with having sex during your period, how about you?" He seems to have forgotten that she also said she was 'sore' from all the 'fun' they've been having, he's just thinking about how to talk her into having sex with him again, no matter what she's feeling. In the end he has to listen to her and goes to sleep unsatisfied and possibly questioning the marriage (and this is still the 'honeymoon period', how's he going to manage the 'we've been married for years and are sick of each other period' that most couples enter eventually?).

David's not cruel or horrible, he's just completely clueless when it comes to women - he neglects to think of his daughter's feelings when it comes to him getting married (kind of out of the blue, too) and it doesn't seem to occur to him to think of whether his new wife is enjoying their marital relations. To be continued...

Later - Page 99 and finally something interesting's happened! Something that might be the beginning of what I was under the impression the book is about. I thought I was in for another 180 pages of 'country drama', going over the writing of a biography of a mad priest who lived in the area (he spoke out in favour of female priests), mediating fights (disagreements that mostly feature a lot of fulminating glares and sullenness) between townspeople and his new wife, dealing with a slightly moody daughter who didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted, and other tedious pieces of 'country drama' that probably really do happen to small-village priests but don't really make up enough of a plot to carry a story (well, not in my opinion anyway). To be continued...