sarahf1984

Complete Works of William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare

Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay

13/4 - I read this about seven years ago, long before I found GR or made an effort to write more than a line or two declaring "I liked this" or "I didn't like this". So, it's been sitting on my 'reread to review' shelf for ages, waiting for me to find the right motivation to read it again. I finally found it in this year's POPSUGAR challenge with their 'A Book that Takes Place in Your Hometown (Melbourne)' category. I was quite excited when I saw that category for two reasons. First because I knew that I would be able to kill two birds with one stone - get a book off the aforementioned shelf and fulfil the POPSUGAR challenge category. Second because there's not that many books actually set in Melbourne. Of course there are lots of Australian authors, Melburnians even, but I can only think of two books that I've read that were set in Melbourne - this one and a true crime that's also sitting on my 'reread to review' shelf. So coming across a book to fit this apparently sparse category so quickly was encouraging.

Anyway, to the book. My main complaint with it is that I don't like open-ended/choose your own ending endings where I have to use my imagination to decide what happened. I just find them frustrating and want to ask the author why the hell they decided to leave me hanging like this. Couldn't they think up something a bit more satisfying? That was what I thought with this book, but then I Wikipediaed the Hanging Rock to learn more of the history and see some pictures and learned something even more interesting. There was an 18th chapter that wasn't published with the original book but has since been published as a separate 'booklet', which reveals what really happened to the girls. I read it and

it wasn't very good

(show spoiler)

. I'm not sure whether I wish I hadn't read it or I'm glad I did because it was

so weird and completely different from the rest of the book that I have similar reservations regarding who really wrote it as other reviewers do

(show spoiler)

, but at the same time I do now know the secret so the frustration over not knowing is gone, but I have new frustrations because of what I said under the spoiler tags above.

*Update* 1/5/16
I just watched the 1975 movie, it didn't improve my opinion of the story as a whole. It was full of synthesised 'woo-woo' music and long 'soap opera' looks that I'm sure were meant to impart some emotion, I'm just not sure what it was (even after reading the book). I'm a fan of Peter Weir (the director) for his movies Master and Commander and Gallipoli but I wouldn't recommend this one, it was just too weird for my tastes.

2016 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge Category: A Book that Takes Place in Your Hometown (Melbourne)